Check your chimney. Chimney fires are very common and easy to prevent. Clogged chimneys can cause fires and cause the build-up of deadly carbon monoxide in your home.
Check your furnace. Replace dirty furnace filters and make sure all connections to the chimney are secure. If you have a coal stove or wood stove make sure your stove vents properly to the outside of the home.
Watch those heaters! Electric space heaters must be used with extreme caution. Make sure they are not close to any flammable objects when operating. Kerosene heaters are not recommended and should not be used.